CompTIA PenTest+ is for cybersecurity professionals tasked with penetration testing and vulnerability management.
Why is it different?
- CompTIA PenTest+ is the most comprehensive exam covering all penetration testing stages. Unlike other penetration testing exams that only cover a portion of stages with essay questions and hands-on, PenTest+ uses both performance-based and knowledge-based questions to ensure all stages are addressed.
- PenTest+ is the only exam on the market to include all aspects of vulnerability management. It not only covers hands-on vulnerability assessment, scanning, and analysis, but also includes planning, scoping, and managing weaknesses, not just exploiting them.
- PenTest+ is the most current penetration testing exam covering the latest techniques against expanded attack surfaces. It is a unique exam that requires a candidate to demonstrate the most relevant pen testing skills for the cloud, hybrid environments, web applications, Internet of Things (IoT), and traditional on-premises.
About the exam
PenTest+ assesses the most up-to-date penetration testing, and vulnerability assessment and management skills necessary to determine the resiliency of the network against attacks. The CompTIA PenTest+ certification exam will verify successful candidates have the knowledge and skills required to:
- Plan and scope a penetration testing engagement
- Understand legal and compliance requirements
- Perform vulnerability scanning and penetration testing using appropriate tools and
- techniques, and then analyze the results
- Produce a written report containing proposed remediation techniques, effectively
- communicate results to the management team, and provide practical recommendations
PenTest+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards and approved by the US DoD to meet directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements. Regulators and government rely on ANSI accreditation, because it provides confidence and trust in the outputs of an accredited program. Over 2.3 million CompTIA ISO/ANSI-accredited exams have been delivered since January 1, 2011.
What Skills Will You Learn?
Planning and Scoping
Includes updated techniques emphasizing governance, risk, and compliance concepts, scoping and organizational/customer requirements, and demonstrating an ethical hacking mindset.
Information Gathering and Vulnerability Scanning
Includes updated skills on performing vulnerability scanning and passive/active reconnaissance, vulnerability management, as well as analyzing the results of the reconnaissance exercise.
Attacks and Exploits
Includes updated approaches to expanded attack surfaces, researching social engineering techniques, performing network attacks, wireless attacks, application-based attacks and attacks on cloud technologies, and performing post-exploitation techniques.
Reporting and Communication
Expanded to focus on the importance of reporting and communication in an increased regulatory environment during the pen testing process through analyzing findings and recommending appropriate remediation within a report.
Tools and Code Analysis
Includes updated concepts of identifying scripts in various software deployments, analyzing a script or code sample, and explaining use cases of various tools used during the phases of a penetration test. It is important to note that no scripting and coding is required.
Jobs that use CompTIA PenTest+
Cloud Penetration Tester
Web App Penetration Tester
Cloud Security Specialist
Network & Security Specialist
PenTest+ Exam Prepration
The Official CompTIA PenTest+ Student Guide has been developed by CompTIA for the CompTIA certification candidate. Rigorously evaluated by third party subject matter experts to validate coverage of the PenTest+ exam objectives, The Official CompTIA PenTest+ Student Guide teaches the essential skills and information needed to troubleshoot and problem solve, helps learners understand a wide variety of issues ranging from networking and operating systems to mobile devices and security, and prepares candidates to take the CompTIA PenTest+ certification exam (PT0-001).
- Content mapped to PenTest+ exam objectives (PT0-001)
- Hands-on Activities designed to put knowledge into practice
- Videos developed exclusively for CompTIA by ITPro.TV
- Practice questions that check for understanding
- PowerPoint slides
- Access to the CompTIA Learning Center
Table of Contents
Lesson 1: Planning and Scoping Penetration Tests
Lesson 2: Conducting Passive Reconnaissance
Lesson 3: Performing Non-Technical Tests
Lesson 4: Conducting Active Reconnaissance
Lesson 5: Analyzing Vulnerabilities
Lesson 6: Penetrating Networks
Lesson 7: Exploiting Host-Based Vulnerabilities
Lesson 8: Testing Applications
Lesson 9: Completing Post-Exploit Tasks
Lesson 10: Analyzing and Reporting Pen Test Results
Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to CompTIA PenTest+ (Exam PT0-001)
To receive physical copy of Text Book:
Accessing the Course Materials
Print books are shipped within 2 business days.
Along with the print, you will also have access to the CompTIA Learning Center, the online platform what you can access an eBook version of the text with digital materials as described above. An access key and instructions for acessing the CompTIA Learning Center are emailed within 3-4 hours of purchase. The eBook is provided in a interactive online version, along with a downloadable PDF.
An access key and instructions for accessing the CompTIA Learning Center, the onlineplatform through which the eBook and all digital material, will be delivered, by email. The eBook is provided in an interactive online version, along with a a downloadable PDF.