Security+ opens the door to your cybersecurity career!
CompTIA Security+ is a global certification that validates the baseline skills necessary to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
Why is it different?
- More choose Security+ - chosen by more corporations and defense organizations than any other certification on the market to validate baseline security skills and for fulfilling the DoD 8570 compliance.
- Security+ proves hands-on skills – the only baseline cybersecurity certification emphasizing hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of today’s complex issues.
- More job roles turn to Security+ to supplement skills – baseline cybersecurity skills are applicable across more of today’s job roles to secure systems, software and hardware.
- Security+ is aligned to the latest trends and techniques – covering the most core technical skills in risk assessment and management, incident response, forensics, enterprise networks, hybrid/cloud operations, and security controls, ensuring high-performance on the job.
About the exam
CompTIA Security+ is the first security certification a candidate should earn. It establishes the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs. Security+ incorporates best practices in hands-on troubleshooting, ensuring candidates have practical security problem-solving skills required to:
- Assess the security posture of an enterprise environment and recommend and implement appropriate security solutions
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT
- Operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance
- Identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents
Security+ is compliant with ISO 17024 standards and approved by the US DoD to meet directive 8140/8570.01-M requirements. Regulators and government rely on ANSI accreditation, because it provides confidence and trust in the outputs of an accredited program. Over 2.3 million CompTIA ISO/ANSI-accredited exams have been delivered since January 1, 2011.
What Skills Will You Learn?
Attacks, Threats and Vulnerabilities
Focusing on more threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities on the Internet from newer custom devices that must be mitigated, such as IoT and embedded devices, newer DDoS attacks, and social engineering attacks based on current events.
Architecture and Design
Includes coverage of enterprise environments and reliance on the cloud, which is growing quickly as organizations transition to hybrid networks.
Expanded to focus on administering identity, access management, PKI, basic cryptography, wireless, and end-to-end security.
Operations and Incident Response
Covering organizational security assessment and incident response procedures, such as basic threat detection, risk mitigation techniques, security controls, and basic digital forensics.
Governance, Risk and Compliance
Expanded to support organizational risk management and compliance to regulations, such as PCI-DSS, SOX, HIPAA, GDPR, FISMA, NIST, and CCPA.
Jobs that use CompTIA Security+
Helpdesk Manager / Analyst
Network / Cloud Engineer
Security Engineer / Analyst
DevOps / Software Developer
IT Project Manager
Security+ Exam Prepration
The Official CompTIA Security+ Student Guide 2019 Update has been developed by CompTIA for the CompTIA certification candidate. Rigorously evaluated by third party subject matter experts to validate coverage of the Security+ exam objectives, The Official CompTIA Security+ Student Guide 2019 Update teaches the essential skills and information needed to troubleshoot and problem solve, helps learners understand a wide variety of issues ranging from networking and operating systems to mobile devices and security, and prepares candidates to take the CompTIA Security+ certification exam (SY0-501).
- Content mapped to Security+ exam objectives (SY0-501)
- Hands-on Activities designed to put knowledge into practice
- Videos developed exclusively for CompTIA by ITPro.TV
- Practice questions that check for understanding
- PowerPoint slides
- Access to the CompTIA Learning Center
Table of Contents
Lesson 1: Comparing and Contrasting Attacks
Lesson 2: Comparing and Contrasting Security Controls
Lesson 3: Using Security Assessment Tools
Lesson 4: Comparing and Contrasting Basic Concepts of Cryptography
Lesson 5: Implementing Public Key Infrastructure
Lesson 6: Implementing Identity and Access Management Controls
Lesson 7: Managing Access Services and Accounts
Lesson 8: Implementing Secure Network Architecture Concepts
Lesson 9: Installing and Configuring Security Appliances
Lesson 10: Installing and Configuring Wireless and Physical Access Security
Lesson 11: Deploying Secure Host, Embedded, and Mobile Systems
Lesson 12: Implementing Secure Network Access Protocols
Lesson 13: Implementing Secure Network Applications
Lesson 14: Explaining Risk Management and Disaster Recovery Concepts
Lesson 15: Summarizing Secure Application Development Concepts
Lesson 16: Explaining Organizational Security Concepts
Appendix A: Mapping Course Content to CompTIA Security+ (Exam SY0-501)
To receive physical copy of Text Book:
Accessing the Course Materials
Print books are shipped within 2 business days.
Along with the print, you will also have access to the CompTIA Learning Center, the online platform what you can access an eBook version of the text with digital materials as described above. An access key and instructions for acessing the CompTIA Learning Center are emailed within 3-4 hours of purchase. The eBook is provided in a interactive online version, along with a downloadable PDF.
An access key and instructions for accessing the CompTIA Learning Center, the onlineplatform through which the eBook and all digital material, will be delivered, by email. The eBook is provided in an interactive online version, along with a a downloadable PDF.